The outbreak situation of bite due to dog in the United States
It is said that about 62 million-68 million dogs are kept as pet in the United States. It is said that about 4.7 million or more are chewed in the year by this dog. Of these, it is said that about 800,000 people consult medical institution in the year, but it is thought that child occupies half. In the United States, there are around 12 deads in the year.
According to the estimation (references 1) of 2001, it is said that about 368,245 receive medical care in emergency section of medical institution in the year among people who received bite (carry in this way chew wound) due to dog in the United States. Sex of these 368,245 people has many 55.1% of men, woman 44.9% and men. There is the most 5-9 years old separately with 15.2% the generation, and subsequently it is order of 13.3% 13.4%, 0-4 years old 10-14 years old. Child 14 years or younger occupies 42.0%.
When monthly saw, it was July that there was the most, and subsequently 11.1% were 9.8% in April. Conversely, it was 6.0% in January that there was the fewest. It is a lot in spring and summer of from April to September, and there is few in autumn/winter of from October to March. We may influence seasonally whether it is the mating season of light clothes or wearing thick clothes or dog whether there is much exposure of skin.
There are many 27.0% and head and necks hand and arm the head and 64.9% of necks with injured body site is 0-4 years old. As age group rises in children, about injured body site, the head and necks decrease, and hand and arms increase. About injured body site, there are many 55.4% and hand and arms hand and arm the head and 8.9% of necks at 15 years or older. From that it is a lot, it is 0.2% 1.4%, others 0.6%, ignorance hand and arm 45.3%, foot and leg 25.8%, the head and neck 22.8%, lower part body 3.9%, the upper part body (including shoulder) when we see in all age groups.
Bite in conjunction with work is 4.5%, but occupies 8.0% when we see in all age groups when we limit to 16 years or older. For work, it is mail carrier, work in protective institution of delivery to home, delivery to home of food, animal hospital and animal, job to read meters such as electricity, gas of baggage, repair of house or installation of facilities.
The outbreak situation of bite due to dog in Yokohama-shi
About the outbreak situation of bite due to dog in Yokohama-shi, it is table 1 below, street of table 2. City of Yokohama, Health and Social Welfare Bureau grasped from report to Health and Welfare Center (Health Sanitation Division) of ward office of Yokohama-shi. We summarized numbers from 2003 to 2008 of 6 years in table 2 in table 1 with numbers from 1996 to 2002 of 7 years. When house dog which much one does mooring judging from ratio, and is exercising bites adult except owner, family. In late years it is thought so that as dogs to keep in the room increase, bite accidents due to dog by the whole mooring and pasturage decrease in kennels. About outbreak of bite due to dog in Yokohama-shi of 2008, it was the lowest number in recent 13 years.
When bite accident due to dog occurs, we will tell the nearest public health center immediately. In the case of Yokohama-shi, owner must report to Health and Welfare Center (Health Sanitation Division) of ward office by the next day if we know fact that house dog bites people and hurt. Furthermore, you must let we let veterinarian consult dog which owner bites people for less than two days and injured, and evaluation of rabies be popular. In addition, report to Health and Welfare Center (Health Sanitation Division) includes "wound accident damage registration form to ask for due to dog" when we are bitten by dog. If owner of dog which we bite people and injured is identified, we will teach in Health and Welfare Center.
Table 1. The outbreak situation (1996-2002: with the references second class) of bite due to dog in Yokohama-shi
|The year (Heisei)||2008||2009||1998||1999||2000||2001||2002||The total||Ratio (%)|
|The number of bite accident reports||166||124||132||141||135||122||112||932|| |
|Bite dog||The total number||185||133||135||147||146||141||132||1019||100%|
|Stray dogs||32|| ||11||17||17||21||14||127||12.5%|
|At the time of bite|
We can put in this
|Victim||The total number||193||134||140||150||152||145||135||1049||100%|
|The adulthood||Owner ・|
Table 2 the outbreak situation (2003-2008: with the references third class) of bite due to dog in Yokohama-shi.
|The year (Heisei)||15|
|The total||Ratio (%)|
|The number of bite accident reports||121||114||121||121||133||85||695|| |
|Bite dog||The total number||137||134||150||139||153||108||821||100%|
|At the time of bite|
We can put in this
|Victim||The total number||147||137||152||141||153||109||839||100%|
The outbreak situation of bite due to dog in Japan
About the outbreak situation of bite due to dog in Japan, it is street of table 3 below. When bite accident due to dog occurs, we will tell the nearest public health center immediately. It was grasped by report to public health centers of the whole country.
It was trend toward decreases, but it becomes around 6,000 cases a year afterwards, and the number of the annual bite accidents due to dog in Japan is not seen in the big increase and decrease until 1996. But this number was grasped by report to public health center, and it is thought that it is considerably given to number when thing which report to public health center is not made includes. The annual death toll by bite due to dog in recent Japan is 1-4 people.
Table 3. The outbreak situation (with references 4) of bite accident due to dog in Japan
|Year||The number of the annual bite accidents (matter)||The annual death toll (people)|
Let's consult medical institution immediately if bitten by dog and cat
We are bitten by dog and cat, and there is many infection, microorganism which we may have. There are pasteurella bacteria (Pasturella multocida) and staphylococcus aureus (Staphylococcus aureus), streptococcus, Corynebacterium, Eikenella corrodens, kapunosaitofaga - kanimorusasu a lot. There is worry of tetanus and rabies, too. The death example was reported in seriously ill example of kapunosaitofaga - kanimorusasu infectious disease, but might not be aggravated if we consulted medical institution at the time of injury immediately and received the dosage of disinfection and antibiotics. We consult medical institution immediately if bitten by dog and cat, and the dosage of disinfection and antibiotics will receive appropriate treatment.
It is ... for the prevention
- We register house dog and will let you receive Vaccinations of rabies properly.
- It will wait in house where baby and small child are at home to take dog.
- Castration often reduces aggressive tendency of dog.
- Let's stop that we work as baby and small child with dog and leave.
- Let's leave that we do aggressive play such as wrestling with dog.
- We tell child the following thing about dog, and let's review regularly.
- It prevents you from approaching dog not to know.
- We run near dog and do not cry. It will prevent you from stimulating habit of dog which you are going to catch in pursuit of running thing.
- If dog not to know approaches, it prevents keeping still like tree and from moving. We may smell you, but often leave when it turns out that it is not threat.
- We curl up like fetus or ball if done everything by dog and lie down calmly. We put hand on the head and neck, and let's protect face.
- If adult does not see, we do not play with dog.
- If there is dog showing hesitation dog and funny action, we report to adult immediately.
- It prevents you from glaring at dog.
- It prevents sleeping dog, eating dog or dog taking care of puppy from disturbing.
- At first, it is beginning that we smell, and dog does that you touch dog on seeing you afterwards.
- We get permission of owner before being going to touch dog whether we may touch.
- We report that we were bitten immediately to adult if bitten by dog.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nonfatal Dog Bite-Related Injuries Treated in Hospital Emergency Departments - - United States, 2001. It is 605-610 4, 2003, 52 in MMWR July.
- 2002 (degree) version Yokohama-shi hygiene annual report (business), November, 2003, Yokohama-shi Health and Medical Bureau General Affairs Department Planning Division editing issuance
- Healthy welfare work annual report, City of Yokohama, Health and Social Welfare Bureau (the outside site) for 2009 (Chapter 7 animal protection management, Section 1 animal protection management)
- Ministry of the Environment, The role of protection management review meeting (the outside site), information about the third animal 2 "harm and nuisance outbreak situation in question," Thursday, March 17, 2004
June 1, 2004 publication
Revision supplementary on June 15, 2004
Revision supplementary on June 18, 2010